Search

The forum overview does not display unread item from time to time. I haven’t read the white rows yet, but they are marked as read:

forum overview

PS: Is there an option to attach images to a post?

The edit button floating over my own posts hiding the content.

The admins get a different option tools that is hidden and can be toggled - the style was left over from the admin design, this has since been updated.

The comment number on semi transparent background over the gravatars when jumping to an anchor point. (Why that?)

I really didn’t want to add to the required vertical height which having both gravatar and comment number would’ve done. Most comments are below 5 lines so the amount of wasted space would’ve been too much.

The alternative is to remove either comment position or gravatar. For now, I’ve rid of the semi-transparency if you’ve found that to be annoying.

The Admin or Dev Team badges beside the gravatars. There were these nice looking moderator tags when the new site launched.

It’s changed back. However, the old design broke on longer usernames (like Buzzomatic’s). It is now on its own line with different colours denoting the different roles.

The standard Gravatar fallback icon for those not having a Gravatar.

It’s now defaulted back to Gravatar’s own fallback icon.

PS: Is there an option to attach images to a post?

Not yet. Something we’re working on.

I liked the Symphony default Gravatar icon better. It’s higher quality, looks sharper, and blends in with the site’s design more.

The forum overview does not display unread item from time to time.

This is fixed. This is actually an interesting bug to discuss.

Symphony has a <read-discussions> DS that displays all discussions that’s read alongside the date and the number of comments read.

I use key() to locate the ones I want. I also have a variable that stores from the key the read comments in $read-replies which grabs a number. The situation arises when a new discussion is created, which means it won’t be in <read-discussions> yet. For these items, $read-replies would be NaN.

Testing $read-replies = 'NaN' would be incorrect since NaN is not a string, it’s a number status. You’ll need:

string($read-replies) = 'NaN'

@Allen: Wow, I didn’t think you’d be taking care of all these things I mentioned. Thanks!

Testing $read-replies = ‘NaN’ would be incorrect since NaN is not a string, it’s a number status.

Details, details. Remembering something like this can save hours of debugging.

It’s now defaulted back to Gravatar’s own fallback icon.

I just realized that this is almost the same icon in blue (sorry, I always forget to empty my cache to see all changes correctly). What I was thinking of was a more discrete, silent version without the big gravatar G - I think this is a site about Symphony and not about gravatars ;)

(And I promise to stop making notes, posting bugs and creating work for you - it’s perfect to have a new community site running, and it is running just fine …)

How about one of these for the default one?:

symphony default icon symphony gravatar symphony gravatar 2

Here’s an interesting new bug: Try and validate the RSS: http://feedvalidator.org/check?url=http://getsymphony.com/rss/discussions/

Especially the media type might cause problems.

They’re awesome MrBlank - I’ve actually put up the first one you’ve got before I saw the other two. Do you have a larger version sitting around somewhere? I want to see if there’s anything we can do about clearing up the jpg artefacts.

Sure, I made it 400x400, so you can have the PSD and use it any way you want. I think I’m leaning towards #3 with the word Gravatar. It’s nice to have a clue on how to add a profile picture. :-)

Here’s the link to the PSD.

I cleaned it up a little and got rid of the niggling artefacts. It was actually a little tricker than just doing the ‘incremental resize technique’ - I had to recreate some of the the elements (the dude itself is vector, awesome!) to keep things sharp for such a small size.

alt text

Allen: You have some sharp eyes. I didn’t really notice the artifacts, but you’re right. Photoshop doesn’t scale things well. I should know better. Always work on Web graphics at actual size. :-/

@Allen, it might be worth it to make a note on the “Edit Profile” page to let users know they need Gravatar in order to change their avatar.

<p class="option">
    <label>Picture</label>
    <span>To change your profile picture, sign up at <a href="http://gravatar.com/">Gravatar</a> with the same email address you provided here.</span>
</p>

alt text

The forum overview does not display unread item from time to time.

This is fixed. This is actually an interesting bug to discuss.

One last thing I noticed in this context: Newly created items will now be marked as unread but there is no badge saying 1 new.

Nils That’s the intended behaviour. No new comments means it’s a new discussion. Otherwise, at quick glance you won’t be able to tell if a discussion is new or if it’s an old discussion with 1 new comment.

sirlancelot thanks for that, I’ve added this to the member edit page – you gave me the HTML to boot :)

@Allen, yeah, Firefox’s WebDeveloper extension is invaluable. That HTML is how I created the screenshot ;)

The cookie seems to remember me, thanks for fixing this.

I have some more suggestions/”bugs”: Is there any chance that there can be support for different time zones? While I indicate in my profile that I am located in The Netherlands, this post will be made with +6 hours time-difference for me.

Can the pagination also be displayed on the top of the page? You have to scroll down the first page to be able to click on the url to the last.

When viewing a members profile, the Edit My Profile and Change My Password links are displayed even though the profile is not yours. This is counter-intuitive.

There seem to be a lot of brocken links in forum posts, when somebody attached a file (like an ensemble or extension) or image (some of them pointing ot beta.overture21.com some to overture21.com). If you follow the links you’ll be send to the new frontpage at getsymphony.com - no message or information what happened (well, I know I was redirected, but it’s not very informative at the moment).

Is there a chance to get these files back?